League of Legends has a pleasant component that allows players to communicate through the client, whether it’s in text or voice chat. Not only that, but we are sure everyone has people they know in real life on their friend list. Additionally, there’s likely an even longer list of random players you added because you had an excellent game with them once. However, it can be frustrating when you want to play a game of League of Legends but don’t want to be bothered by people. Maybe you’re trying to get some work done or simply not in the mood to talk. Luckily, you can easily appear offline in League of Legends without leaving the game.
1. Look Offline By Changing Status In the League of Legends Client
To appear offline, the first thing you need to do is open up the League of Legends client and log in. Once you’re signed in:
- Click on the “Friends” tab located at the bottom of the client.
- Once you’re in the “Friends” tab, click on your name in the top-right corner. A drop-down menu will appear; from this menu, select “Set Status.”
- A pop-up window will appear with various options for your status. The option you’re looking for is “Invisible,” which makes it so that the client shows you as offline in the friends list.
- Close the pop-up window, and you’re all set.
Note. This method only works if you’re logged into the League of Legends client. If you’re not signed in, people can still view your status as “Online” or “Away.”
2. Utilize Command Prompt to Appear Offline on League of Legends
If you want to set your status to “offline” without closing the League of Legends client, you can do so via Command Prompt. But before you begin:
- Make sure your Windows Firewall is enabled and properly configured. You can do this by going to Start > Control Panel > System and Security and then clicking on Windows Firewall.
- Next, you’ll need to add League of Legends to the list of exceptions in your firewall. To do this, click on the Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall link in the left-hand pane.
- Once you’ve done that, click on the Change settings button and then scroll down until you find League of Legends in the list of programs.
- Make sure that both the Private and Public checkboxes are ticked for League of Legends and then click on OK.
Configuring Game to Make League of Legends Account Seem Offline
Now that your firewall is configured, you can launch the League of Legends client. Then, you’ll need to do is open it by pressing the Windows key + R and typing “cmd” in the text field. Now:
- In Command Prompt, type netstat -a -n and press Enter.
- This will bring up a list of all the active connections on your computer. Look for a line that says something like TCP 0.0.0.0:5222 YOUR-COMPUTER-NAME:0 LISTENING
- Once you’ve found that line, copy the IP address from it (in this case, it’s 0.0.0.0).
- Now, enter tasklist /fi “PID eq YOUR-PID” and then press Enter, making sure to replace YOUR-PID with the PID number you got from the previous step.
- This will bring up a list of all the processes that are running on your computer. Look for a process called LeagueClientUx.exe and make note of the PID number next to it.
- Now, type taskkill /F /PID YOUR-PID and then press Enter.
- Replace YOUR-PID above with the PID number in the same fashion. Once you’ve done that, your League of Legends client will close.
- To open it again, go to your League of Legends installation folder (by default, this is C:\Riot Games\League of Legends) and double-click on LeagueClient.exe. When the League of Legends client opens, you’ll notice that your status is now set to “offline”.
3. Be Invisible to Friends in the Mac League of Legends Client
If you’re playing League of Legends on a Mac, you can do the following:
- Open the League of Legends app and click on the “Settings” gear in the top-right corner.
- Select “Account” from the menu on the left.
- Under “Profile” you’ll see a section called “Offline.” Tick the box next to “Display as Offline to other players.” You’re now invisible to other players.
4. Appearing Offline or Online in LoL via a Deceive Plugin
First, you’ll want to install the Deceive plugin for League of Legends. We’re unaffiliated and merely shining a light on a possibility. Then:
- Launch the League of Legends client and head to the “Friends” tab.
- From there, click on the button in the top-right corner that says “Appearance.” A new window will pop up with two options: Online and Offline. Consequently:
- Selecting Offline will make it so that your friends see you as offline, even if you’re still in a game.
- Picking Online will do the opposite and show everyone that you’re currently online, even if aren’t in-game.
- You can also use Deceive to appear online when you’re not in a game by selecting the “Invisible” option from the same drop-down menu.
5. Using a VPN to Appear Offline in LoL
Note this may not always work, but you can download and install a reputable VPN client. We have no preference or ties but will use TunnelBear for demonstration since it offers a free service. You should pick a provider with VPN servers in regions other than your native one.
- Launch the client and log in with your account information.
- Click on the “Country” drop-down menu and select “United States.”
- Click on the “Connect” button and wait for the VPN connection to be established.
- Open League of Legends and you should be offline for others. Note that you may experience lag while playing League of Legends while using a VPN.
When playing League of Legends, you may sometime need to go offline. We understand many players are merely trying to take a break from the game for a bit without losing access to the client or the friend list. Hence, we showed you how to appear offline on LoL so that other players can’t see or contact you.