Decided to switch your Fortnite name because you came up with a better one? That’s important, especially if you choose one never thinking you’d play the game. A common reason for this is rebranding before you start earning money playing games. Why? Simple! Even if you are the last man standing, a goofy name simply won’t have an impact you desire. Lucky for you, overhauling your online persona can be done in just a few easy steps. This doesn’t apply to every platform, as you can see below, but we mentioned two alternatives. Eager to go dive into it? This is how to change Fortnite name.
Instructions to change Fortnite name via Epic Games
The only requirement for name changing is having a verified e-mail address. After a name is changed, it will be displayed anywhere you use an Epic Games account, whether directly or by account linking. This applies to PC, Mac, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS. Follow these steps to change your name in Fortnite via Epic Games:
- Visit the Epic Games Sign In page and log in.
- Hover your cursor over your account name. Select Account from the drop-down menu.
- You’ll be redirected to the General tab by default.
- Click on the blue pencil icon next to Display Name which is greyed out.
- Enter the new name twice.
- Put a checkmark in front of I understand I can not change my display name again for 2 weeks after this change.
- Click on Confirm.
- Scroll down a little on the General page and click on Save Changes.
That’s all! As you can see, you can alter your Epic Games name once every 2 weeks for free.
How to switch Fortnite name on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live
There are two ways to alter your Fortnite name on Xbox Live or PlayStation Network:
1. Upgrade your account to a full Epic Games account
This will only work if, during the first boot of Fortnite on a console, you chose to “start playing immediately”. If so, a nameless account without an e-mail address was created to store your progress on Fortnite. And since you were logged in to PlayStation Network or Xbox Live for other games, the two simply need to be linked. This also applies to Nintendo Switch under these circumstances, although it’s rarer. Here’s how to switch Fortnite name for Xbox Live or PlayStation Network:
- Visit the same Epic Games Sign In page as above.
Sign out if needed, or open it in the Incognito/Private window.
- Choose the Sign in with Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Nintendo option.
- Enter your account credentials for the platform you selected.
- If you are redirected back to the Epic Games website after the login, this is good news. If you aren’t, then you aren’t eligible for this or have used the wrong account.
- Complete the required fields and click on Create Account.
- Note: The e-mail address must not belong to another Epic Games account. However, it can be identical to the one you use for the Xbox/PlayStation/Nintendo account.
- The Display Name you chose during the registration will have priority over the Gamertag in Fortnite.
2. Change your PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo Gamertag
Both platforms use a unique Gamertag (chosen during the account registration) for thousands of games, Fortnite included. Unless updated to full account, the first set of steps won’t make a difference since Gamertag takes priority. But because the steps aren’t unique to Fortnite, we’ll publish separate guides for both platforms shortly. That way, we won’t deprive gamers of general instructions that work for any video game on PlayStation/Xbox. We also have to warn you ahead of time. Only the first Gamertag change is free, and every next one will cost you $10, so take time to deliberate.