Altering your username is part of being a gamer, and Minecraft, a sandbox survival game, is no exception. It’s normal, even. Just like our interests change, so do our identities, even if they’re limited to what our teammates or enemies would call us in online games. Luckily, both game publishers and gaming platforms such as Steam or Mojang/Microsoft Store understand this, and we’re glad they do. Without their cooperation, a lot of people would be stuck with weird names made a decade ago. So, without further ado, here’s how to change your Minecraft username.
1. Change your Minecraft username via Mojang (Java Edition)
Here’s how changing a Minecraft name for Java Edition works:
1. Determine account type
To help you determine what you need to do, let us ask you this. Do you sign in to Minecraft with your current username? If you do, it means that you’re using a legacy account, registered before November 2012. To convert to a Mojang account and make name change possible, you’ll have to make a migration request first. If you created your account after November 2012, proceed.
2. Sign in to Mojang and complete the process
Follow these steps to change your Minecraft username using a Mojang account:
- Visit the Minecraft Login page and sign in with an e-mail and password.
- In the sidebar on the left-hand side, select Profile if it isn’t.
- Find the Profile Information (Profile Name if you logged in via mojang.com) section, and click on Change next to it.
- Enter a new profile name, then click on the Change Profile Name button.
- You’ll get a success message if everything is in order.
- Microsoft’s Recommendation. Log out, then log back in on all Minecraft game launchers. This refreshes profile connection and authentication with their servers.
I can’t change my Minecraft name. Why?
There are a few reasons you couldn’t change your Minecraft name:
- Changing a Minecraft name can only be done once every 30 days.
- You used less than 3 and more than 16 characters.
- You added a space.
- The system only allows letters from the English alphabet and numbers 0-9.
- The only permitted special character is “_” e.g., underscore.
- Someone else took your name. Mojang will reserve your old names for 37 days after the alteration.
2. Changing your Minecraft username on consoles (Bedrock Edition)
Are you playing Minecraft Bedrock Edition, particularly on an Xbox or PlayStation console? In that case, your Minecraft username is also your Xbox Live or PlayStation Network Gamertag/profile name. The problem is – changing the Gamertag is only free the first time on Xbox Live, and $10 per change every next time. In contrast, the name alteration costs $4.99 for PlayStation Plus subscribers and $9.99 for regular PlayStation Network accounts. Nintendo allows you to change the profile name for free and other platforms inherit the Microsoft/Xbox Gamertag.