Before the release of Fortnite Chapter 2 in October 2019, watching your friends play required screen sharing or remote control software. Those with powerful hardware and willpower even started private live streams. While it worked somewhat, those solutions were just means to an end, inconvenient, and resource-intensive. Thankfully, Epic Games noticed and responded with a built-in spectator system. While it annoyed those who don’t perform well under watch, others reported it eliminated the boredom of waiting for another player to finish an active match. With that said said, let’s demonstrate how to spectate in Fortnite.
Steps to spectate in Fortnite
Decided to observe your friends’ playstyle in hopes of getting better at Fortnite? Or, simply, to pass the time until you can play together? Both are rational reasons to use these instructions to spectate in Fortnite:
- Launch Fortnite on whichever operating system you’re using.
- Note. It doesn’t have to be the same operating system, device, or model as the player you want to spectate.
- Join the party with the Fortnite player you want to spectate. Alternatively, have the player send you a party request.
- With that done, use one of these 2 ways to start spectating in Fortnite:
- The Play button on the right-hand side changed to Ready. Click, tap, or use your controller to select it. If you meet the requirements below, it will change to Watch; tap, click or select it.
- Open the Social menu. Switch to the PARTY UP tab. Click, select, or tap on the player’s name, then choose Watch Game.
- Wait for the spectating screen to finish loading, and you can start spectating the chosen Fortnite player.
- Tip. Spectator Mode can take a while to initialize. The speed depends on your hardware and Internet connection.
Why can’t I begin spectating in Fortnite?
Oftentimes, either the option in step 5 above isn’t visible, or Spectator Mode fails to start. This could be because of these 4 requirements to spectate in Fortnite:
- Don’t switch away from the game window, even if Fortnite seems unresponsive while loading Spectator Mode.
- You cannot spectate a player that’s still inside the Battle Bus.
- You can only begin spectating a player 30 seconds after they have dropped from the Battle Bus.
- If there are more than 2 players in the lobby, all of them must be either playing or spectating.