You can take screenshots in Minecraft using a single key or a key combination, both of which are customizable. The way they’re saved can also be changed, including showing or hiding the Minecraft debug screen, depending on the purpose: aesthetics or troubleshooting. Additionally, two things are pre-defined – the file extension and file names. The former is always .png, regardless of the platform. The latter uses a timestamping naming system that includes the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second. But one question remains, “where are Minecraft screenshots saved?”
1. Minecraft saves screenshots in this directory on computers
Before we go ahead, we need to clarify something. You should replace <username> with the username of your Windows/Mac/Linux account. With that acknowledged, Minecraft screenshots are saved in these directories on computers:
To find Minecraft screenshots on Windows 10, do this:
Here’s where to find screenshots from Minecraft Java Edition on Windows 10:
- Open Windows Explorer/This PC.
- Click on the address bar at the top.
- Paste one of the following file paths:
Since screenshots on Minecraft Bedrock Edition for Windows 10 are taken differently (by pressing Windows key + G), the location isn’t the same. You’ll see a notification with the exact location the moment you take a screenshot, which, by default, is: C:\Users\<username>\Videos\Captures
Reveal hidden files in Windows
Minecraft screenshots folder can often be hidden by Windows 10 settings. To make it appear, do this:
- Open the Start menu.
- Start typing “show hidden..” and click on Show hidden files.
- Under File Explorer, find the Change settings to show hidden and system files option.
- Put a checkmark in front of it, then click on Show settings.
- Click on the empty circle in front of Show hidden files, folders, and drives then click on OK.
If you took a screenshot by pressing Shift + Command + 4, it will be sent to the Mac desktop. If you used any other method, Minecraft screenshots on Mac will be here:
- Open Computer/Finder folder, and paste one of the following into the address bar:
I can’t see any screenshots. Help!
If you can’t see Minecraft screenshots, the folder might be hidden like on Windows 10. To bypass that, follow these steps:
- Open Finder.
- In the Finder menu bar at the top, click on Go.
- Click on Go to Folder from the drop-down list.
- Paste one of the locations from above.
Linux doesn’t suffer the same problems as Windows or Mac in terms of hidden folders or files. For that reason, you can open Computer and enter one of the following file paths into the address bar:
4. From Minecraft (All 3 operating systems)
Here’s an easier method that works on all Minecraft desktop versions:
- While in Minecraft, open the pause menu.
- Go to Options (Java Edition) or Settings (Bedrock Edition).
- Select Resource Packs, then click on the Open resource pack folder option.
- When the pop-up window appears, you’ll be in the minecraft/resourcepacks folder.
- Go back one step (to the .minecraft (Windows/Linux) or minecraft (Mac) folder), then open the screenshots folder.
2. Saved Minecraft screenshots are here on mobile devices
Locating screenshots saved by Minecraft on mobile devices works like this:
- Android. Open your Photos/Gallery app, then go to the Screenshots folder.
- iOS. Open the Photos app, then go to Albums > Camera Roll.
- Kindle Fire HD. Go to Apps > Photos > tap on the Device tab at the top > Screenshots.
3. Locate saved Minecraft screenshots on consoles
On PlayStation Vita, your Minecraft screenshots will be sent to the Photos folder. For Nintendo Switch, Go to the HOME menu, then tap/select the Album icon. Now, let’s see where Minecraft saves screenshots on two other consoles:
1. Xbox One/Xbox Series X/S
Here’s where to find screenshots saved in Minecraft on Xbox One and later consoles:
- Press the Xbox button on the controller.
- Select the Broadcast & capture option.
- Navigate to the Recent captures options, and you should see your Minecraft screenshots.
- If you need to see older screenshots, select the See all option.
- Tip. You can also visit www.xbox.com in your browser, sign in with your Xbox Live account, and open the Captures section on your profile page.
2. PlayStation 4/PlayStation 5
To find your saved Minecraft screenshots on PlayStation consoles, follow these steps:
- PlayStation 4. Select the Capture Gallery icon. Press the Options button on your controller to sort through Minecraft screenshots.
- PlayStation 5. Go to Game Library > Installed > Media Gallery at the bottom. You can go to the Games tab, select Media Gallery in the list of games at the top.