Ever think about maps other Minecraft players created? You should – it will inspire your own projects while simultaneously feeding your curiosity as you explore their world. And those are just the inanimate worlds, although megalithic and complex. Did you know that large portions of maps can be automated, thanks to the ability to connect Redstone trails into circuits? Minecraft mods also help build quickly and with precision, and some of the maps that utilize both are, simply put, a work of genius. Good news – you can not only see but play them yourself. Here’s how to download and install Minecraft maps.
Where can I download Minecraft maps?
You can download maps for Minecraft from other players on your server, people you know, play Minecraft with, or follow on websites such as YouTube or Twitch. What many have found is that those aren’t always to your liking. If only there was a gallery-like interface where you can preview maps before trying them out… Well, there is. In fact, there are many websites dedicated to gathering and showcasing Minecraft maps in one place. A few examples of user-created Minecraft maps on display include:
How to manually download Minecraft maps
It would be tedious to demonstrate the download process for all websites, which is why we use a popular option for demonstration. The steps should be similar on other websites, and the downloaded file formats remain identical across platforms. With that said, here’s how downloading maps from MinecraftMaps.com works:
- Browse the Latest Maps Added or Recently Updated Maps, the header drop-down menu items, or the Search option to narrow down your search.
- When you find a map you like, select it.
- Tip. Pay attention to the MC Version row entry in Map Details. It is the oldest version of Minecraft that the map is compatible with.
- Click on the big Download Minecraft Map button under Map Download.
- After it downloads, the file will either end in .zip or .rar.
- To open and extract ZIP files on Windows and Mac, you can use the built-in utilities. For RAR files, however, you might need to install third-party software such as WinRAR (Windows) or The Unarchiver (Mac). For Android, iOS, and iPadOS, you can install a dedicated app from the app store, such as RAR, B1 Archiver, iZip, etc.
- Once extracted, you’ll most likely see a folder with the name of the map. Inside, you can see one of the two things:
- A file ending in .mcworld. It means that the map is newer or uses Pocket Edition, and is thus designed for Minecraft specifically. Simply double-click the file, regardless of the platform. After a prompt where you need to select Open in Minecraft, tap or click on Play, and the Minecraft app will open with the map installed.
- A lot of files and folders. For example, you’ll see folders as stats, region, or data, and documents such as level.dat. It means you’ll have to copy the main folder containing those files to a device-specific location.
Download and install maps from the Minecraft Marketplace (Windows 10/Mobile/Console)
This is the official Minecraft resource for texture packs, skin packs, maps, and many other things. Besides as a way to gain a fanbase and promote your work, it allows you to sell your maps for money (Minecoins). Luckily, many of the maps on Minecraft Marketplace are free to download like this:
- Go to the Community Creations page in your browser, or within the Minecraft app.
- Scroll down, enter something into the search bar, or use tabs such as Survival Spawns, Mini Games, Adventure Maps, etc.
- When you find a map you like, select it.
- Click or tap on the Get This Item or Download button, depending on the device.
- If the map requires payment in Minecoins, you’ll have to configure payment details and go through it.
- Click/tap on Create This World to see more details.
- Tap/click on Create when you are ready to generate the world.
Instructions to install Minecraft maps on Minecraft Java Edition (PC/Mac/Linux)
First, copy the entire folder you extracted from an archive. To do so, highlight it, then press Ctrl + C on Windows and Linux or Control + C on Mac. After you download, there are 2 ways to install Minecraft maps in the Minecraft Java Edition:
1. Use Minecraft Launcher to find the folder
This is how to find the source folder via Minecraft Launcher:
- Open the Minecraft Launcher app.
Double-click on it on the desktop, the Launchpad (Mac), or the Start menu (Windows).
- In the top-right corner, click on the hamburger (three-line) menu.
- A new menu appears on the top of the window.
- Click on Launch options, then toggle Advanced settings to on.
- Click on OK when prompted, then click on Add new in the top left corner.
- Toggle the Game directory switch to on.
- When a list of locations appears, click on the green right arrow next to the Game directory row.
- A new folder will open. Double-click the saves folder to open it.
- Press Ctrl + V (Windows/Linux) or Control + V (Mac) to paste your map folder here.
2. Navigate to the folder location
Open My Computer/This PC on Windows or the Computer/Finder folder in Mac or Linux. Find the address bar. If necessary, open any folder so that the file path appears at the top. Then, paste the map folder you copied into the following locations:
- For Windows, you have 2 options:
- Paste this into the address bar: %APPDATA%\.minecraft
- If that doesn’t work, paste this: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves
- For Mac, do this:
- Paste this into the address bar: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves
- Didn’t work? Paste this: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves
- On Linux, find it here:
- Paste this: ~/.minecraft/saves
- Also try this: /home/<username>/.minecraft/saves/
Explanation. Exchange <username> for the actual username of your user account.
How to install Minecraft maps on Bedrock Edition (iOS, iPadOS)
Because both iOS and iPadOS are very restrictive when it comes to storage, it’s recommended that you do it from a Windows or Mac computer. Connect the iPhone or iPad via the Lightning to USB cable, then do this:
- For Mac, try to find the folders mentioned below with the built-in storage browsing. If it doesn’t work, you can install a third-party solution such as iFunbox that works for both Mac and Mac.
- For Windows, download, install, and run iFunbox.
- Click the My Device tab in the top left corner. When it opens, select Apps.
- Browse the list of apps, find and double-click on Minecraft PE.
- Expand it by going to Documents > games > com.mojang > minecraftWorlds.
- Paste the Minecraft map folder here.
Steps to install Minecraft maps on Bedrock Edition (Android)
Installing Minecraft maps on Android can be done directly or using Windows and Mac, by connecting the smartphone with a USB cable. For the former method, you can download maps directly, then use ASTRO File Manager or the ES File Explorer, to extract (they both come with an unZIP functionality) and copy the files over. Regardless of the method you choose, follow these steps to manually install maps for Minecraft on Android:
- Open internal storage (displayed as /storage/emulated/0 sometimes) or SD card storage, depending on where your Minecraft is installed.
- Go to games > com.mojang > minecraftWorlds.
- Paste the map for Minecraft here.
Installing Minecraft maps on Bedrock Edition (Windows 10 PC)
Newer maps for Minecraft Bedrock Edition primarily use a .mcworld extension. But what if you’d like to play an older map on a Microsoft Store version of the game? Just like with iOS or Android, there’s a workaround. After you download, you can install maps for Minecraft in Microsoft Bedrock Edition on Windows 10 like this:
- Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
- In the text field in the Run window, paste this:
- Click on OK.
- Paste the map folder inside the folder.
I’ve transferred the Minecraft world. Now what?
You’re done and can begin playing it. Follow these steps to generate a Minecraft map:
- Open the Minecraft Launcher and start the game.
- Select Singleplayer on the homepage.
- Double-click on the map name to generate a Minecraft world. Alternatively, select it, then click or tap on Play Selected World.
- After a brief loading time, you’ll spawn and start playing.