Looking to exchange a car in Grand Theft Auto 5 for cash? Sounds like a great deal, as long it’s worth your while. Obviously, the game takes the car’s make and model to determine its worth – the more extravagant it is, the more cash you’ll get. Insurance is also important, as you’ll see below since it protects your car from being stolen by installing a tracker. If it ever gets damaged or destroyed or you don’t manage to recover it while you’re online, it allows you to get a payment from Mors Mutual when you log back in. It isn’t much, usually 1% of the advertised web price, but certainly better than nothing. With that acknowledged, here’s how to sell cars in GTA 5.
Can you sell cars in GTA 5 offline?
No, unfortunately. The only way to get rid of the car is to destroy it and then don’t file an insurance claim with Mors Mutual.
Can I sell cars in GTA 5 Online?
Yes. However, there are 3 conditions to sell a car Grand Theft Auto Online:
1. The car must be insured.
If you have a garage and park it, the car will automatically be insured. If you don’t, you can ensure it at Los Santos Customs. That’s also where you can sell it, too.
2. The car must not be modified, unless by you.
As soon as another player modifies his or her car, it becomes their property. You either won’t be able to enter Los Santos Customs with it, or won’t be allowed to use any of the options. You can still steal and sell a player’s car before he insures or modifies it since they aren’t owners yet.
3. The car must not be a high-end one unless its legal
Cars valued at $50000 or more, can’t be sold, whether stolen or not. The only way to sell expensive cars is if you bought them from the Legendary Motorsport in-game, such as the fastest cars in GTA 5.
Steps to sell cars in GTA 5 Online
Follow these steps to sell a car in Grand Theft Auto 5 Online:
- Find Los Santos Customs on the map. It is marked by the spray can icon.
- To open the map on PC, press ESC, select Map, then double-click the icon to mark the location.
- On consoles, press the Start button then the A button on Xbox, or the X button on PlayStation. Navigate the cursor to the icon, then press A or X again.
- Tip. There are 4 tuning and modification shops with the same name. They’re located at Los Santos International Airport, Grand Senora Desert, La Mesa, and Burton. You can visit any of them.
- Drive to the entrance. The garage door will raise for you to drive inside.
Tip. If you have a wanted level, the garage door won’t open.
- When the menu opens, select the Sell option.
On PC, press Enter. On Xbox, press the A button. Press X on PlayStation.
- In the next window, you’ll see a price in the top right corner.
- Select Sell Vehicle when you’re ready.
- When prompted with “Are you sure you want to sell this vehicle?” select Sell Vehicle once again.
- Exit the shop after the success message, “Vehicle sold.”
Is selling cars in GTA 5 worth it?
Putting cars on sale in GTA 5 is worth it if you fulfill these 3 conditions:
1. Don’t sell too many too often
This puts you on Rockstar Games‘ radar. They use an in-game detection tool, called Exploit Level, to track gamer’s activities. That’s because there are exploits that allow players to duplicate cars, then mass-sell them for profit. With that said, the limit to selling cars is one car every 48 minutes (real-time) or 1 day (in-game time). So, if you continue selling cars on the dot, this can raise suspicion. Consider selling one car every hour.
2. Steal the car without too much trouble, and the car sells for a pretty penny
While you can “boost” any car off the street, the cooldown period doesn’t make it worth the effort unless it sells for a hefty price. The price will also be reduced if you stole the car while it was occupied. Instead, we recommend keeping an eye on the expensive-looking unmodified cars parked in rich neighborhoods. For example, the top price is for an unmodified car is for Vapid Peyote ($12940). The next-best options are Declasse Tornado Convertible ($12575) and Albany Buccaneers ($9750).
3. Modify it at a good price
Modifying the car will raise its base selling price. Research the cost of modifications and see if you can extract a profit by adding them beforehand. Also, keep these 2 things in mind:
Cars without a tracker cannot be sold for more than $10000. Install it before going to Los Santos Customs.
2. Car damage
Los Santos Customs will reduce the price of damaged cars in GTA Online by the amount it takes to repair them. For that reason, it isn’t important whether you repair cars beforehand or not.