Getting a Minecraft cape is one of the principal ways to make your character stand out. For best results, it should fit with the appearance of your player’s skin. Contrary to popular belief, cloaks in Minecraft aren’t a result of illegal game modifications or hours of grinding. Instead, they were introduced in 2010 and were exclusively worn by Mojang employees. This later expanded to include extremely lucky, helpful, or dedicated fans, which we’ll explain in a moment. Our point is that Mojang implemented them. Therefore, you can learn how to get a cape in Minecraft and use it legally.
1. Get your cape in Minecraft from Microsoft (Conditions apply)
The only official way to obtain a Minecraft cloak is for Microsoft to give it to you. This usually isn’t easy, cheap, or even possible if the method expired. We suggest you try this regardless, on the off chance that you unknowingly earned one in the past. With that said, here are a few official ways to get a Minecraft cape through Microsoft:
1. Skin packs
This is a guaranteed way to acquire a cloak in Minecraft, but will likely cost you. The price depends on the skin, and where you obtain it. The safest and simplest way is on the Bedrock Edition, as we demonstrated at the bottom. Well-made 2D templates for 3D models work too but are less user-friendly.
2. Migrating your account
Did you migrate your Mojang account for the Java Edition to a Microsoft account for the Bedrock Edition? If you haven’t, here’s how to obtain a Migration Cloak in Minecraft:
- Log in to your account via e-mail and password on the Minecraft website.
- Click on Profile in the upper right corner if you aren’t taken there.
- Acknowledge the 5 steps you need to complete and click on the Move My Account button.
- Create a Microsoft account if you haven’t.
- Enter the codes you’ll receive to e-mail addresses associated with two accounts.
- After confirmation, the cloak should appear in-game shortly.
3. Testing game versions
Microsoft rewards players that download beta versions of Minecraft Bedrock Edition with a unique cloak named The Pan Cape. You should, but don’t have to submit bugs. Also, not all platforms are tested simultaneously so platform support usually depends on the iteration of the beta version.
4. Event capes
Mojang (and later Microsoft) awarded unique cloaks to players who purchased tickets for MINECON events between the years 2011 and 2016. The practice was paused until MINECON 2019, at which point only cloaks for Minecraft Bedrock Edition were given. Luckily, Microsoft announced Minecraft Festival 2022 attendees will receive an exclusive cape for Minecraft.
5. Mapmaker cloaks
Minecraft Atlas is a website for submitting player-created Minecraft maps that, if chosen by Microsoft, become a part of the Minecraft Realms Content Creator Program. After earning reward points based on the type of map you submitted, you become eligible to receive a Realms Mapmaker cape.
Equip a cape in Minecraft without mods (Bedrock Edition only)
Ever tried to change your Minecraft skin? Then you’ll have no issues equipping a cape because the steps are identical to:
- Switching skins using the Character Creator menu (method 1). You’ll find the skins you bought, earned, or already owned among individual Minecraft skin items.
- Equipping capes that are part of a 2D template in a PNG file format (method 3).
Note. Although Migration Cape should be applied by default, you may log in to your account on the website (https://www.minecraft.net/), then click on Options then Capes. Select the cape and/or confirm that you want it to appear in-game.
2. Acquire a cloak by installing a Minecraft mod (Java Edition only)
Legitimate Minecraft mods carry a whole host of merits. The one we use for demonstration is tried and tested, but you should always do your due dilligence.
OptiFine is a reputable mod for Minecraft that overhauls the game engine but also introduces the feature you desire. However, there are 5 things you must know about using cloaks with OptiFine:
- Although the base mod is free, buying and adding a cape requires a one-time donation.
- Cape appearance can be fully customized, with no limits to the number of changes.
- Once purchased, the cape can be moved to another Minecraft username, but must only be active on one account at a time.
- Your cloak is only visible to the other players who have OptiFine 1.1 B or a later version. It doesn’t matter if they have a cape or not.
- Some servers choose to disable third-party skins and mods, OptiFine capes included. Therefore, you might “lose” your cape while you’re connected.
Purchase and apply a cape in Minecraft with OptiFine
We already demonstrated installing OptiFine when we talked about steps to install Minecraft shaders. After downloading and installation, proceed like this:
- Head on over to the OptiFine Donate page.
- Enter your Minecraft username.
- Select your design from the dropdown list. You have 4 options:
- Select Standard to get the default cloak with the letters OF printed.
- Select one of many background colors from the drop-down list.
- Choose Custom… to keep the letters “OF” present but change the text and background color by entering a hexadecimal color code.
- Select Banner… to paste an URL from the Banner Generator (http://www.needcoolshoes.com/banner) OptiFine recommends. You can adjust color and alignment but cannot use the Mojang logo.
- Complete your donation of $10 (USD). The cloak should appear the next time you log in.
- If it doesn’t, open Minecraft Launcher, then go to Options > Skin Customization. Toggle Cape to ON.
The next time you want to change the cape design, reach the Skin Customization screen. Go to OptiFine Cape then click on Open Cape Editor.
I don’t want to pay for a Minecraft cloak mod. What do I do?
Short on cash? We understand! There’s a well-known free alternative, with 1+ million total users and nearly as many downloads, named MinecraftCapes Mod/MinecraftCapes.net. Although we cannot vouch for it nor are we affiliated, the fact it’s available on Curseforge.com since January 2020 certainly instills trust.
3. Get a cape within Minecraft using a resource pack
Not a big fan of spending money, putting in the effort, or showing off to others? Luckily, there’s a simple solution. It involves the installation of Minecraft resource packs that include capes. There’s plenty to choose from, and many recreate Mojang and Microsoft limited-time cloaks and add fun features such as wings. No one can complain because this is an alteration only the user can see.