Decided to cheer up another Fortnite: Battle Royale player with a present? That’s a commendable activity, and it sure sends a message that you care. We know this not only because sending presents is nice, but because it’ll cost you real money through V-Bucks, Fortnite’s in-game currency. Also, you can’t send something you already own, so the recipient knows he’s not getting second-hand goods. So, even with limitations that we’ll get into, Fortnite gifting works on all platforms the game can be installed on. With that said, here’s how to gift in Fortnite.
Steps required to gift in Fortnite
This is an all-in-one Fortnite gifting guide because the same instructions apply on PC, Mac, PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, and Android. Follow these steps to send a gift in Fortnite:
- Select the Item Shop option in the menu on the top.
- Use left and right arrows on PC, touch on Switch and Android, and analog stick on consoles to check items in the shop.
- Tip: The items change daily at 00:00 UTC.
- Once you decide on a gift, verify that you have enough V-Bucks, and select the Buy As Gift button.
- Scroll down and select a recipient.
- Click on the Continue then Send button.
- If successful, you’ll get a pop-up on the left-hand side with a message: Success! All gifts were delivered successfully.
- Bonus. If the recipient is in your party when he/she receives the gift, their character will perform a unique emote akin to dancing.
Why can’t I send a Fortnite gift?
Here are two categories of reasons your generosity of gift-sending in Fortnite didn’t work.
You don’t fulfill all the requirements
Here are 5 common reasons sending a gift in Fortnite causes an error:
- You must have 2FA enabled. Here’s how to enable 2FA in your Epic Games account.
- You aren’t level 2 or higher.
- The gift recipient already has that item. Gifting fails automatically if this is the case.
- You haven’t been friends long enough. For Fortnite gifting to work, your Epic Games accounts must be friends for at least 3 days beforehand.
- You’ve sent too many gifts. The daily limit for gifts is 5, and you have to wait 24 hours from the time the first gift was sent or received.
You are trying to send a forbidden gift
Here are a few things you cannot gift in Fortnite:
- V-Bucks. Another player can use your payment service to purchase V-Bucks. However, you can’t gift them directly nor use the ones you own.
- In-game offers in exchange for real money.
- Items that aren’t active in the Item Shop.
- Items you have in your Locker.
- Various limited-time bundles. One example is the Battle Pass Tier Bundle.
- Battle Pass. This is not 100% correct, since you can gift a Battle Pass by choosing the Battle Pass option instead of Item Shop. However, you can’t use your V-Bucks to do it. Instead, you’ll be taken to the payment processing service tied to your Epic Games account, and must deduct its price directly.