The Call of Duty video game is a first-person shooter that has been released on a number of gaming platforms. Activision publishes the Call of Duty video game series. The franchise began in 2003 with games set during World War II. Over time, the series has included games set in modern times, the near future, and outer space. Infinity Ward designed the first four games in the series; Treyarch and Sledgehammer Games developed subsequent installments. Other developers have released spin-off and handheld titles based on the same themes as those in Modern Warfare 2. But how many Call of Duty games are there?
Well, the most recent game at the time of publication, called Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II, was developed by Infinity Ward and will be released on October 28th, 2022. Thus, as of 2022, 18 Call of Duty games have been released, and one will be released in October. This includes mainline entries in the franchise, spin-offs, and mobile titles. Again, the first Call of Duty game was released in 2003, and since then, the franchise has become one of the most popular shooter series in the world. Each new release typically sees a huge amount of hype and excitement from fans eager to get their hands on the latest installment.
As of July 2022, the Call of Duty series has sold over 425 million copies and earned about 30 billion dollars. With such a long and successful history, it’s no surprise that there are many Call of Duty games. There are currently 19 mainline games in the series, not counting expansions or spin-offs. If you’re curious about and want to know how many Call of Duty games are there, then here is the full list of Call of Duty games:
Main Call of Duty Games
These are all the games released in Call of Duty from when the franchise began to 2022:
- Call of Duty (2003)
- Call of Duty 2 (2005)
- Call of Duty 3 (2006)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
- Call of Duty: World at War (2008)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2009)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II (2012)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (2015)
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)
- Call of Duty: WWII (2017)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (2020)
- Call of Duty: Vanguard (2021)
Upcoming and Other Games in the Franchise
This is an announced, yet-to-be-released Call of Duty game, followed by two other types of titles:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (Upcoming, scheduled for release on October 28th, 2022)
- Call of Duty: Warzone (Free battle royale game, 2020)
- Call of Duty: Mobile (Mobile game, 2019)
The franchise also has several spin-off games and the main series titles. Console exclusives such as Finest Hour, The Big Red One, and The War Collection have been released, as well as mobile games like Call of Duty: and Heroes. The series has never gone more than a year without an update since the first two Call of Duty games had a one-year gap between them.
Even though players may play Call of Duty titles on various platforms, they are renowned for drawing hundreds of thousands of players immediately after launch, thanks to its enormous community that has been developing for nearly 20 years. With such a long history, it can be hard to track how many Call of Duty games there have been. Thankfully, we’ve put together a list of every single one, so you can stay up-to-date with the franchise.