In Minecraft, beds are primarily used for two things: to set your spawn point and to sleep through the night. While you can technically sleep anywhere in the world, sleeping in a bed will cause the time to fast-forward to dawn, which can be handy if you’re trying to get some extra daylight hours for mining or farming. With that said, let’s get into how to make a bed in Minecraft.
Materials to make a bed in Minecraft
To make a bed in Minecraft, you’ll need:
- 1x Crafting Table
- 3x Wool
- 3x Wood Plank (any type)
If you don’t know how to make a bed in Minecraft, the first step is gathering the materials you’ll need. You can use wood for your bed, but oak is the most common. Unsurprisingly, you get it by chopping trees. You’ll also need three blocks of wool, which can be obtained from shearing sheep. Additionally, you can sometimes find wool inside chests in abandoned Mineshafts. Making a single bed will take three blocks of wood and three blocks of wool. If you’re wondering, you cannot use cobblestone or other materials to make a bed frame.
Guide for making a bed in Minecraft
Now that you know how to proceed, do the following:
- Create and use the Minecraft Crafting Table.
- You will now see a 3×3 crafting grid and a single empty box on the right side.
- Place the materials like this:
- First row: Leave it empty.
- Second row: Place three blocks of wool, one each in the grid’s first, second, and third empty box.
- Third row: Place three blocks of wood, one per empty box in the empty boxes.
- Since the recipe uses two rows, you can also move these items one row up, meaning you can put items from the second row into the first, and those from the third in the second. This would leave the third row empty, yet still, create a bed. The wool will create the mattress for your bed, while the wood will create the frame.
- Do note that our other guides, which mention you can place up to 64 wood and wool at once won’t work. That is because the bed in Minecraft is not a stackable item. If you did everything right, the bed will appear in the empty box on the right-hand side.
Moving the bed to Minecraft inventory or hotbar
Once you have your materials in the correct places, you can move the bed to your inventory. Drag it from the crafting table to your hotbar or inventory space. That’s it—you’ve now made a bed in Minecraft. You can place it anywhere in the world, but it’s best to put it inside a house or shelter to protect it from the elements (in theory). When ready to use it, right-click on the bed and select the ‘Sleep’ option. This will fast-forward the in-game time to dawn. That is handy for many reasons, some we already mentioned in the introduction.