You can make plenty of starter items in Minecraft using your inventory crafting interface alone. However, the 2×2 crafting grid quickly becomes your primary limitation. To progress further, you’ll need to create items that are more complex, such as to make a Beacon, make a Bucket, craft a TNT, or even essential items, such as craft a Torch. The next logical upgrade is to learn how to make and use a Crafting Table. It will help you craft many upgrades, including armor, weapons, items to build a serious shelter. It’s also necessary if you want to fish or set traps by creating a Grindstone. There are numerous other possibilities, so let’s get into it.
Materials needed to create a Crafting Table
Here are the materials you can use to make a Crafting Table:
- 4x Birch Plank
- 4x Oak Plank
- 4x Spruce Plank
- 4x Jungle Plank
- 4x Acacia Plank
- 4x Crimson Plank
- 4x Warped Plank
- 4x Dark Oak Plank
Explanation: You do not need to gather all of the wood planks. Only one type of wood plank in the required amount is necessary.
Instructions to make a Crafting Table
To proceed, you must open your Character inventory menu. The steps vary based on the Minecraft Edition. Here’s what to do.
- On Java Edition (PC and Mac), Windows 10 Edition, and Education Edition. Press the E key on your keyboard.
- On PlayStation. Press the square (□) button on your joystick.
- For Xbox. Press the X button on your controller.
- For Nintendo Switch and Wii U. Press the Y button on the controller.
- On Pocket Edition (PE). Press the button with three dots in the bottom right corner, next to your hot bar.
Now you are ready to continue.
- Place one type of wood plank in each of the 4 empty boxes (2 boxes in 2 rows) to the right of your character model.
- If you followed the recipe for a Crafting Table correctly, you’ll see a Crafting Table icon in the single empty box on the right.
- Transfer it anywhere in your inventory or hot bar.
An alternative way to add a Crafting Table
Who says the Survival Mode is the only way? There are 2 far easier methods:
- Use Minecraft Commands/Cheats. This is the easiest way. Enter a short code and you’re done.
- Use the Creative Mode. You have to find the item in a long list of items, then drag it to your hot bar. This is a more time-consuming method.
If you decided to go with the 1st option to spawn a Crafting Table in your inventory, you need to turn on Minecraft cheats first. Then, open your chat, and do this.
- Are you playing Java Version (Mac and PC) versions 1.13 to 1.16.3? If so, enter:
/give @p crafting_table 1
- Are you playing Java Version (Mac and PC) version 1.8 and after, or any other version of Minecraft we mentioned above? Enter this:
/give @p crafting_table 1 0
Steps required to place and use a Crafting Table
Before you can make it work, you need to place it on the ground (spawn it). The necessary steps are different based on the version of Minecraft. Here they are.
- On Windows 10 Edition, Education Edition, or Java Edition (Mac and PC). Use the right-click of your computer mouse.
- On PlayStation. Press the L2 button on the controller.
- For Xbox. Press the LT button on the controller.
- For Wii U and Nintendo Switch. Press ZL on the controller.
- For Pocket Edition (PE). Tap on the block.
Now, approach the Crafting Table. Then, follow the same steps from the list above to open it. If everything went right, you should see a window pop up. It will contain one empty 3×3 grid and one larger empty block on the right.