PUBG (PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds) is an online multiplayer shooter game player by millions of players all over the globe. The battle royale implemented with the incorporation of excellent graphics and hundreds of items including player modifications, weaponry, consumables makes it one of the most played online games of all time. PUBG has been gaining its popularity since its launch and competing with several other online multiplayer battle royale games including the popular Free Fire. The game has its own uniqueness makes it different from many competitors out there paving its path to being popular among gamers.
Having played many other battle royales out there, it was quite easy to review the game comparing the pros and cons it has when considering the features other games provide. That’s why I decided to write a review of the PUBG letting the users know deeper into the features of the game and what they can expect inside. It is completely up to you whether you should play the game or put it in the bucket list. But according to me, as a gamer who loves battle royales and chopping down enemies in online battles, the game definitely worth to be at least in your “To-Play” list. Having said that, let’s dive into our PUBG review.
PUBG has one of the best gameplay mechanics of a modern-day shooter, survival, battle royale game. As always in any battle royales such as Fortnite, Free Fire, etc, you will be put in a group of players of 100 in the classic game mode which is the most played and typical form of PUBG. All you have to do is surviving to be the last one standing among all others. You do not necessarily have to kill the rest of the 99, they will kill each other for you. But it isn’t as simple as it sounds, you might come across enemies on your way to success. Probably the enemy team itself if they survive. At that time, the lack of a solid team would make you pay a huge cost. That’s why it is important sticking with your team.
But if you think that you could hide in a spot until all of them killed each other and you just have to kill the final person standing, that isn’t possible. The playable area shrinks every once in a while to ensure that anyone outside the area gets killed within a matter of seconds. So, you should stay inside the play zone in order to survive in the game, and that brings players closer each other making a shootout. There will be also Red Zones with mines that will be marked in Red color in the map. So, you might wanna avoid going through them in order to not get killed by a silly blast.
Like many other battle royale games, you will be given stuff all over the place inside buildings, containers, etc. which you can pick up and upgrade. Weapons, armories, healing band-aids, energy drinks, everything will be put in certain areas of the game randomly. You will not only be able to pick up a weapon but can upgrade it as you collect the compatible upgrades. You can also travel in different vehicles such as a car, jeep, or bike to travel faster. The driving controls are pretty basic and not the best out there. The driving physics are not top-notch. But as it is not the primary goal of the game to let users drive around, it wouldn’t be much of a big problem.
The game is available on almost all devices that you own including your high-end PC to your mobile devices. Even though it is available on all the consoles and devices, the gameplays are quite different on all of them. I don’t know if it is just me, I felt like it is way easy to win on mobile devices on any battle mode when compared to the PC version. Might be because the PC players have been playing the online shooters and much easier for them to shoot people. In other words, the pros play in PC version of the game when compared to the mobile versions.
In the mobile version, I found it much easier to aim and shoot at the enemies while it wasn’t the case for the PC. It is very easy to spot people on mobile devices and fire at them whenever you want. The aim assist also contributes to the precision making it simpler killing enemies without wasting your bullets firing at the sky. Like in all the versions of the game there are hundreds of weapons you can choose from all with different levels of damage, precision, and capacity. Whichever suits you the best, you are good to go.
The performance in all different versions of the game isn’t much different including the waiting time for the matchmaking. At the end of the day, it’s all about how powerful your device is rather than the game’s servers. There weren’t any lags while playing the game even though thousands are playing simultaneously from different parts of the world. I have come across games that lag with just a few thousand players playing it. So, PUBG servers are capable of managing all these people firing and killing without any server overloads.
The addictive game is free to play on your mobile devices while it costs something on other consoles. So, if you want to take the PUBG gaming to a next level and shoot the enemies much more advanced using your mouse and move around with your keyboard opening a pro-player field of gaming experience, you might have to spend few bucks on it. If you are planning to stick to the mobile version of the game, you are good to go with an empty pocket.
PUBG: The Features
Talking about the features of the PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, there are tons of points to make. As you might be familiar with the battle royale titles, listing each one of them isn’t really necessary. So, we are taking a sneak peek into the most noticeable features of the game that is either unique or much better than the competitors. Without due, let’s have a look at the features of the PUBG game.
Matchmaking in PUBG isn’t big of a deal. Unlike many games that make you wait for several minutes even with a few thousand online users, PUBG makes it possible way faster even with hundreds of thousands of simultaneous players all over the globe. All you have to do is selecting the preferred play maps and game mode, then tapping the Start button at the main screen. You will be joined with other players within a matter of seconds. Make sure that you choose a server closest to your location for faster matchmaking. For example, if you reside in Asia, selecting a European server might cause a bit lag in the matchmaking process.
PUBG comes with a lot of game modes such as Classic, Training, Custom, Evo Ground, etc. The Classic mod consisting of sub-modes such as Solo, Squad, Duo, etc. You can also play any of these sub-modes from the FPP (First Person Perspective) or TPP (Third Person Perspective). In addition to these, you can also play some custom modes such as Zombie mode, War mode, etc. So, the game is full of different kinds of game modes packed. So, you do not have to get bored playing the same game mode again and again.
- In the classic mode, players will be able to participate in the battle royale with 99 other players. Players can join as a Solo member to win the price for themself, or as Duo, where one another player will be in your team, or as Squad where 4 players will be in your team. All these game modes will be available in the classic mode where you can earn so many rewards and achievements. This is the most played game mode in the PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.
- In the Evo mode, you will be placed in a team deathmatch kind of game mode where you have to reach a certain number of kills (probably 40) to win the game. The first team reaches the number of target kills that will win it. The players will be divided into Blue and Red teams where unlimited re-spawns will be available. You could either upgrade your weapon and choose it to play or pick from the given ones as per your convenience.
- The custom modes such as the Zombie mode and War mode can be created from the game, setting your own rules and number of players. The war mode will be available as a time-based event where the game will be available to the players for a limited time. So, you won’t be able to enter the game as you do in other modes such as the classic mode.
- The training mode, as the name itself, says, the players can practice the game by picking up their own weapons, ammo, consumables, almost everything available in the actual game. So, you won’t be limited by anything in the practice mode. You can run around, shoot the targets, choose your own weapons, upgrade them the way you want, and do everything you could in an actual battle royale match except killing some enemies. There will be other people training next to you. You could shoot them, and shed some blood, but they are unkillable.
PUBG has a huge set of maps available to play. You are not limited to a single map in any game mode. You could choose your own and join the people who chose the same map. The huge maps with a wide variety of environmental variables as well as the routes, you could enjoy the game at every dense bit of it. Erangel, Miramar, Vikendi, Sanhok, every map has its own specialties and weather conditions. Whichever you choose, you won’t be disappointed.
- Miramar: Miramar is an 8×8 map in PUBG with most of the area covering with a desert. It is the largest playable area in the PUBG game with a lot of stuff to explore with a desert theme. You won’t find any trees in there to hide. All you can find is a bunch of Graveyards, Prisons, Buildings, Water treatment plants, with another set of areas.
- Vikendi: Vikendi is a 6×6 map in PUBG covered with snow. Everything from the water bodies, to the buildings, will be covered by snow. You could even track your enemies by their footprints on the snow. How exciting is that? A Castle, Cement factory, Coal mine, Dino park, Villa, Winery, all come inside.
- Erangel: Erangel is an 8×8 island in the PUBG game with different kinds of terrains, buildings, and environments. It contains a Military base, a Hospital, Apartments, Mansions, Quarry, Ruins, and many more. One of the most played maps in the PUBG.
- Sanhok: A map full of vegetation converted with trees and greenery. Surrounded by water on all sides, the map is divided in 3 sections all connected with a number of bridges. Sanhok has the smallest playable area in PUBG leading to frequent player meetups of course with the guns and fire.
- Camp Jackal: The training map in PUBG where you can practice everything from driving vehicles to parachuting. An excellent way to be a pro PUBG player yourself by practicing your skills.
Users are allowed to chat with each other using the microphone on your devices. This opens a huge set of possibilities in squad battles. You do not have to guess your co-player’s movement and move according to that which might end up all of your team getting killed within a matter of minutes. You can communicate with them using the voice chat feature provided to build a pretty solid game plan paving the path to being the “Winner winner chicken dinner.”
If you do not want to talk to certain people in the squad, you can mute them and have conversations with someone you would like to talk to. This is very useful if you are playing with one of your friends, so you only need to talk to him and not to rest of the squad. So, the voice chat feature really does improve the gameplay as long as you have a perfect plan to go forward. Even if you are not the best out there, you can still win it with good communication and sticking together.
PUBG is a real entertainment package with everything you need in a battle royale, shooting, survival game. Anything you ask for is packed inside with excellent game modes to support them. Graphics designed for the perfection, real-players competing with you all the time, consumables that are limitless, gameplay that is much more convenient for any level of players, everything packed inside with stunning craftsmanship. Like other games with a lot going in the background, PUBG isn’t much of a tense game. Even with the enemies chasing you, you can still have fun escaping from them. So, go give it a try.
- Value for Money
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is an extremely well-crafted online multiplayer game with one of the best graphics and weaponry. An amazing game with millions of players all over the globe, having the best gameplay for a survival shooter for a long time.