Looking for instructions to save the game progress in Red Dead Redemption 2? You’re in the right place, we’ve prepared a detailed explanation of the process. And it makes sense to do so, with so many missions that can go wrong and reputation that can go down. Before we go any further, we’d like to make a clear distinction – we won’t be discussing the online version of the game, Red Dead Online. We’re only covering the offline (single-player) version, but we will provide steps for consoles, Xbox One X and PlayStation 4, and the PC version. Let’s get into it – here’s how to save in Red Dead Redemption 2.
How does auto-save work in Red Dead Redemption 2
We have good news right off the bat – you might not need to save at all in this Rockstar Games masterpiece. The game is designed to automatically save your progress at important checkpoints. That might be when you start a mission or when you complete it, when you buy a sell a weapon or a valuable item, or when you take Arthur Morgan or Jack Marston to sleep.
Guide to manually save a game in Red Dead Redemption 2
Sometimes you can’t rely on the automatic game save, especially if you need to step out urgently or share your console/PC with another player. In that case, for peace of mind, you should take the matter into your own hands. Here’s how saving a game in Red Dead Redemption 2 yourself works:
- Enter the Options/Pause screen.
- Select the Story menu.
- On Xbox, press the X button.
- On PlayStation, press the A button.
- If you are on PC, press Enter.
- Select Save Game.
- Pick one of the 15 available slots for saving a game.
- Select Save.
- Use the same buttons/key as above.
- Confirm the choice by selecting Yes.
- Tip. Make sure not to overwrite a game someone else is playing or you’re unsure about. It cannot be restored afterward.
These are the conditions for successfully saving a game:
- You can’t save during the introduction chapter.
- You can’t be in a fight with an NPC or during the time you have a bounty on your head.
- If you enabled Red Dead Redemption 2 cheats, you can’t save the game.
- You must not be on an active mission.
- You must not be engaged in a mini-game or an event that forces you to complete one.
Benefits of game-saving on PC
Unlike consoles, PC offers versatility with Red Dead Redemption 2. To clarify, we’re pointing out the fact that you can transfer a game you saved from one PC to another. You can even download a 100% storyline complete game save file from the Internet. Many people resort to this after they’ve played certain chapters on the console, and want to continue on their PC.
- The game stores save files in the following location:
C:\Users\<your PC name>\Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Profiles
- They’ve usually titled something like SRDR30000, although sometimes with a smaller number, and might have an accompanying .bak file.
The Red Dead Redemption 2 game saving process is pretty straightforward, isn’t it? Now you can easily go back and replay missions. Everything you do differently can significantly alter the course of the game and the epilogue.