Making a Fence is among the first things you’ll do after you make a Torch and build your first house. Its purpose should be obvious – to keep sheep, pigs, dogs, cows, and other in-game animals confined. This allows you to feed them easily (see what pigs eat) shear them, collect milk (here’s how to make a bucket), and inevitably, kill them for food. Creating an in-game boundary also helps to tame foxes, domesticate cats, and tame and ride horses. Since Minecraft is a multiplayer game too, it can also prevent players from jumping over. Now that you know its importance, here’s how to make a Fence in Minecraft.
Materials needed to make a Fence
To create a Fence, you need to gather:
- 2x Stick
- 4x Oak Plank
- 4x Birch Plank
- 4x Jungle Plank
- 4x Warped Plank
- 4x Dark Oak Plank
- 4x Acacia Plank
- 4x Spruce Plank
- 4x Crimson Plank
Clarification: You don’t need all the Wood Planks above. 4 Planks of any type of Wood listed, in combination with 2 Sticks, is all you need.
Instructions to craft a Fence in Minecraft
Before you can start, you must make, place, and use a Crafting Table. After that, proceed by doing this:
- In the empty 3×3 grid, place materials you gathered in this order:
- First row. Place a Wood Plank item in the first box, Stick in the second empty box, and another Wood Plank in the third box.
- Second row. Do the same as in the first row.
- Third row. Leave it empty.
- Bonus tip: The 3×3 grid allows for versatility. You can leave the first row empty, and place items in the second and the third row instead of the first and second.
- You will see a Fence icon in a single empty block on the right side. The number 3 signifies the number of Fences you crafted.
- Congratulations on following instructions to make a Fence successfully. Now, drag the Fence to an empty slot in your inventory or hot bar.
Alternative: Learn to spawn a Fence
1. Switch from Survival Mode to Creative Mode
Arguably the easier option of the two. By switching the Game Mode, you gain access to an infinite number of items, this one included. Type ‘Fence’ in the search bar after you open your Inventory and drag the item to the hot bar.
2. Use a Minecraft Cheat or Command
This allows you to stay in Survival Mode, but you will have to replenish Fences once you run out. First, enable Minecraft cheats. Then, open your chat, and type the following command, based on Minecraft version:
- For Minecraft Java Edition (PC and Mac), versions 1.13-1.163:
/give @p fence 1
- For Minecraft Java Edition (Mac and PC), versions 1.8 and after, as well as other versions of Minecraft:
/give @p fence 1 0
Tip: If you want a specific Fence type, alter the command slightly. For example, type
warped_fence in place of