So, you hope taming and riding a horse in Minecraft, one of the best games for boys, will lead you to the light? From personal experience, you have nothing to worry about. This activity will not only allow you to have a new best friend, but also a powerful creature to explore the vastness of Minecraft with. Even more, since you can control the horse’s movements, you will feel like soldiers of old. This is even more apparent if both you and the horse have armor equipped. Without further ado, here’s how to tame a horse in Minecraft.
To tame a horse in Minecraft
In order to tame a horse in Minecraft you should make sure that you follow these steps one by one. It is not easy as just finding a horse and riding it.
1. Prepare materials
Well, material, really. All you need is a saddle. The biggest chance of obtaining it is through trading with leatherworker villagers(for 6 emeralds. You can also kill any mob that has a saddle. However, only Ravagers have a 100% drop chance.
2. Find a horse
Although we cannot give you an exact location, you should look for it in the Plains biome. If you are unsuccessful, you can use a Minecraft cheat or a spawn egg through Creative Mode.
3. Tame the horse
- Approach the horse.
- Make sure your hands are empty e.g. you’re not highlighting anything in your Hotbar.
- Press right-click on the horse on Java Edition (PC/Mac), Windows 10 Edition, and Education Edition.
- Place your pointer on the horse and press the Mount button on Pocket Edition (PE).
- Press the L2 button on your controller for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.
- Press the ZL button on your gamepad/controller for Wii U and Nintendo Switch.
- After you jump on the horse, it will start bucking. Expect to keep being thrown off a few times. Every time, you’ll get to stay on its back a little longer.
- Eventually, you will see a group of red hearts appear all around the horse, and you will stay mounted.
But how does taming in Minecraft work? Each horse is assigned a random “temper” number of between 0-99. Each time you jump on it, it increases by 5. When you finally hit 100, the horse will be tamed. Also, feeding a horse beforehand can increase its temper before you try to tame it.
How to ride a horse in Minecraft
After attaining the host you can start writing it to travel easier and faster throughout the Minecraft blocks. Here are the steps required to ride a horse in Minecraft.
How to put a saddle on the horse
Even though you tamed a horse, you are not able to control its movements yet.
- On Java Edition (PC/Mac), Windows 10 Edition, and Education Edition. Press the right-click on the horse to mount it. Then. Press E to open inventory
- On Pocket Edition (PE). Move your pointer over the horse. Press the Mount button. Once mounted, press the button with 3 dots to open inventory. Tap on the picture of a saddle.
- On Xbox 360/Xbox One. Mount the horse by pressing L2 on your controller. Then, press Y to open inventory.
- On PlayStation 3 and 4. Press L2 on your controller. Press the triangle button to open inventory.
- For Wii U and Nintendo Switch. Press the ZL button on the gamepad/controller to mount. Then, press the X button to browse the inventory.
A window named Horse will open, with a picture of the horse, two items it can wear, and your own inventory. Move the saddle from your inventory to the top slot on the left of the picture of the horse. The horse’s appearance will change both in the picture and in-game. It will now display a saddle on its back.
Mounting the horse
The controls are identical to those when taming the horse. Only this time, you can control its movements.
Dismounting the horse
To dismount a horse, do this.
- Press the Shift key for Java Edition (PC/Mac), Education Edition, and Windows 10 Edition.
- Press the Right Stick (RS) on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Wii U.
There you have it, this is how to tame a horse in Minecraft and ride it afterward. Now that you can roam the nearly-infinite world, many adventures are waiting for you and your loyal companion.