So, you’re interested in taming a fox in Minecraft? We’ll get to that, and we truly understand why you would want this cute but ferocious animal following you around. Technically, they’re just a bunch of pixels on the screen and made of colored blocks rather than being 3D realistic. But there’s just something about them being your best friends in-game. Especially after the struggle to get hem to reach that level, which you’ll quickly realize. Without further ado, this is how to tame a fox in Minecraft.
Why is taming a fox in Minecraft difficult?
- They’re rarer than other animals in Minecraft.
- Foxes in Minecraft often stay in groups of two to four.
- They are limited to spawning in any of the three biomes: normal, giant tree, and snowy Taigas. They can also be found around taiga villages.
- Foxes are nocturnal animals, so you must search for them when it’s dark.
- You must use stealth to approach them, and they must be bribed with food.
- Foxes can carry both food and weapons, and use the latter to attack you.
- They are fast and jump far and can easily escape.
- Taming a Fox in Minecraft is much different than taming a horse. It requires much more effort, resources, and time.
To tame a fox in Minecraft
- Prepare a dozen items named Sweet Berry. They’re gathered from sweet berry bushes, which exist in Taiga biomes and can be planted and harvested.
- Make sure you’re holding the berries while you approach the foxes. (Select the item in your Hotbar).
- Slowly sneak up to them. To use sneak/crouch, do this.
- On Java Edition, Windows 10, and Educational Edition, press and hold Shift.
- For touch-screen Bedrock Edition, simply double-tap the open circle on the screen.
- For the controller Bedrock Edition, as well as Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4 press the right analog stick until you hear a click.
- On the Pocket Edition. double-tap the diamond icon on-screen.
- Feed the berries to at least two foxes.
- After they consume around 4 to 5 berries each, plenty of densely-packed hearts will appear around them, and they will be tamed.
- Every time you tame two or more foxes, they have a 5% chance of spawning a baby fox. The baby fox will automatically be tamed and loyal to you.
- Even after tamed, they tend to start running around once the sun rises. Make sure to build them an appropriate pen if you intend on keeping a large pack.
- Baby foxes will stick to their parents rather than following you.
- Tamed foxes will attack enemies who are attacking you.
So, this is how to tame a fox in Minecraft. Besides being a loyal companion, foxes can also fetch you things they’ve collected with their mouth. In our experience, the items were mostly feathers or food, but we’re sure the list is long.