Crafting a Torch is one of the first things you’ll do in Minecraft, excluding digging yourself a shelter and chopping trees nearby. It is the base requirement for cave exploration and necessary if you want to survive after nightfall. That makes it essential for any Minecraft player, whether they are starting out or long active. With our step-by-step instructions, you can be on your merry way while staying safe in dark. Just keep in mind – they cannot set anything on fire in-game. Here’s how to make a Torch in Minecraft.
Materials required to make a Torch
These are the materials you need to gather to craft a Torch:
- 1x Charcoal
- 1x Coal
- 1x Stick
Clarification: You don’t need both Coal and Charcoal, since they are interchangeable in the recipe. Both recipes give the same result and the same amount. Feel free to use one or the other.
Instructions to craft a Torch in Minecraft
To make a Torch in Survival Mode, you must have a Crafting Table on the ground in front of you.
- Open the Crafting Menu.
- On Windows 10 Edition, Education Edition, or Java Edition (PC/Mac). Use the right-click of your computer mouse.
- For Wii U and Nintendo Switch. Press ZL on the controller.
- On Xbox. Press the LT button on the controller.
- On PlayStation. Press the L2 button on the controller.
- For Pocket Edition (PE). Tap the touch-screen on the Crafting Table.
- An empty 3×3 crafting grid will appear.
- This is how to place the items:
- First row. Leave the first box empty, place Coal or Charcoal in the second box, then leave the third box empty.
- Second row. Don’t put anything in the first or third block. Place a Stick in the second (middle) block.
- Third row. Leave all of them empty.
- If you followed this to a tee, an icon of a Torch will appear in the box on the right.
You get 4x Torch regardless if you used Coal or Charcoal.
- Transfer the item to your inventory.
Minecraft commands for Torch
Now that we got the harder way over our heads, it’s time to mention two easier options.
- Enter the Creative Mode. This allows you to spawn any item, and in infinite amounts. However, this requires you to browse a large list.
- Use Minecraft cheats/commands.
If you decided on option #2, you might need to enable Minecraft cheats first. Then, enter this in the chat.
- On Minecraft Java Edition (PC/Mac) v.1.13-1.16.3.
/give @p torch 1
- On Minecraft Java Edition (Mac/PC) v.1.8 and afterward, Education Edition, Pocket Edition (PE), Windows 10 Edition, Xbox One, Bedrock Edition, PS4, and Nintendo Switch.
/give @p torch 1 0
There you go, a simple act of creating a Torch introduces a lof brightness. Make sure to stock up on them, and don’t forget, you can knock them down, pick them up, and re-use them infinitely.