Looking to expand your farm in Minecraft by feeding pigs, then breeding them? Smart choice, since pigs are commonly found out and about in the world. You can then make a pen, expand it into a farm, and start reproducing pigs. This will fulfill your needs, whether as a source of food or entertainment (they’re pretty fun to keep around), or something to ride on. Furthermore, they are passive creatures, and won’t attack you even if attacked, which makes them a perfect pet. With that in mind, let’s solve the mystery – what do pigs eat in Minecraft?
Pigs Eat these things in Minecraft
Why should I feed Minecraft pigs?
There are 5 main reasons why you should give pigs food:
- So they follow you around. Once fed one of the food items above, they will follow you within 6 blocks in all directions.
- To breed them for food. Killing an adult pig drops between 1 and 3 Raw Porkchop, which can be cooked.
- If you kill an adult pig with a Looting III enchant on your weapon, it has a chance to drop up to 6 Raw Porkchop.
- If you kill an adult pig with fire, it will drop Cooked Porkchop instead.
- To breed or slaughter them for the experience points. Killing an adult pig drops between 1 and 3 experience orbs.
- After they breed and a baby pig spawns, you can get between 1 and 7 experience orbs.
- So they can be used as a mount to ride on. Pigs can be equipped with a Saddle and ridden (just like riding a Horse in Minecraft).
- You can control their movements using a Carrot on a Stick.
- To make them mature faster. After you breed 2 Pigs, there’s a 5-minute cool down before you can do it again. The baby pig takes about 20 minutes to grow to adult size. Feeding them can reduce that time by 10%.
Where can I find pigs in Minecraft?
In Survival Mode, pigs spawn:
- On almost any grassy block. Exceptions are wooded badlands plateau and snowy tundra.
- In a Minecraft village. They are in the stables, animal pens, or in the backyard of a butcher’s house.
In Creative Mode, you can find an item named Pig Spawn Egg.
So, we have learned that Minecraft pigs eat carrots, potatoes, and beetroots, and thy spawn on any grassy block. You should also keep them happy by feeding them once every while to make sure that they stick around. Hurting them will not be a good idea if you are planning on breeding them.