Hoppers aren’t something you encounter early in your Minecraft journey. However, they become an instrumental time-saving feature if you dabble in automation and optimization in-game. If you figured the block has to do with jumping i.e., hopping, as many do at first, you must be confused. Reminder: hopper is a block that can capture item entities nearby and either route or store them temporarily. For instance, it can send them into a container, or from one storage to another. Although we won’t elaborate, players can also use hoppers as a redstone component or a crafting ingredient. With that, let’s analyze how to make a hopper in Minecraft.
1. Materials required to make a hopper in Minecraft
If you enjoy playing Survival Mode, whether in single-player or multiplayer, you’ll need to do a mix of chopping wood, mining, and crafting. Thankfully, the scope of work is small. You must acquire the following materials to craft a hopper in Minecraft:
- 5x Iron Ingot
- 1x Chest
We already demonstrated how to create a chest in Minecraft. As for iron ingots, you get them by smelting iron ore in the furnace, with (typically) coal or wood as fuel.
2. Craft a hopper in Minecraft
With resources at hand, you’re ready to begin making a hopper in Minecraft:
- First, make and place a Minecraft crafting table in front of you. Utilize the platform-appropriate keys or buttons to open its user interface.
- You’ll now notice an empty 3×3 crafting grid in the top left corner. Place the materials in the following order:
- First row: Place an iron ingot into the first box. Leave the second one empty. Place another iron ingot into the third box.
- Second row: Put an iron ingot into the first rectangle. Set a chest into the second rectangle. Another iron ingot goes into the third one.
- Third row: Leave the first box empty. Set an iron ingot into the middle box. Don’t put anything into the third box.
- If you did everything right, iron ingots will be in a “V” shape with a chest inside. You’ll see a hopper appear in the sole box on the right-hand side.
- Take the hopper out and transfer it to your inventory or Hotbar.
Other ways to acquire a hopper in Minecraft
While undoubtedly both challenging and fun, crafting a hopper isn’t the only way to procure one. There are 3 other distinct methods of getting a Minecraft hopper:
You can indeed loot a hopper. Did you discover an intricate settlement or a mineshaft in Minecraft? If so, did you spot any minecarts by following the railway? Were any parts powered by redstone dust, perhaps? We’re asking these questions to ascertain whether you ran into a minecart with hopper. If you’re playing on a Minecraft server, that’s even more likely, since players could’ve abandoned one somewhere. To clarify, you can get a minecart and a hopper to drop as separate items after you destroy the aforementioned object.
Important. Although you can destroy a minecart with hopper (or a hopper alone, for that matter) barehanded and with a variety of tools, you should only use a pickaxe. Otherwise, you can only loot the contents of a hopper (reminder: it has 5 storage slots) without the item itself.
2. Using the /give command
We often mention the /give command. After all, it’s instrumental in getting items without switching from Survival to Creative Mode. Before you can use it, however, you must turn Minecraft cheats on. With that done, proceed in one of two ways, based on the game version:
- Playing Minecraft on Java Edition 1.8 and later, or Bedrock Edition that supports commands? Enter the following command into the chat:
/give @p hopper 1 0
- Still haven’t upgraded and using Minecraft Java Edition version 1.13 to 1.18.1? Type this command:
/give @p hopper 1
3. Switching to Creative Mode
As with nearly any block in Minecraft, you can get hoppers by changing game mode to Creative. This is only possible in single-player or when you’re an administrator on an online server. With that in mind, you merely have to open your inventory and click the Search Items icon in the upper right corner. Type “hopper” into the search bar and drag the item to your inventory or Hotbar. Straightforward, right?