Crafting a Chest is one of the first things you’ll do in Minecraft. It’s only preceded by chopping wood, digging cobblestone, looking for coal to make a Torch in Minecraft, and digging a shelter to wait out the nightfall. Your inventory can carry plenty of items when you’re just starting, but it’s not meant to be a permanent form of storage. You’ll realize this on your own, and pretty quickly, as you will be forced to make compromises and throw items out left and right. Plus, your organization will go out the window with little space to work with. The solution to your problems is learning how to make a Chest in Minecraft. Follow these simple instructions.
Materials required to make a Chest
These are the materials you can use to craft a Chest:
- 8x Spruce Plank
- 8x Birch Plank
- 8x Jungle Plank
- 8x Oak Plank
- 8x Acacia Plank
- 8x Crimson Plank
- 8x Dark Oak Plank
- 8x Warped Plank
Clarification: You don’t need to gather all of them. Only a necessary number of any type of wood on the list is needed.
A step-by-step guide to craft a Chest in Minecraft
In order to craft a chest, you must make and use a Crafting Table. Then, proceed as follows:
- You will see an empty 3×3 crafting grid. Place items in this order:
- First row. Place a wood plank of your choice in all three empty boxes.
- Second row. Put a wood plank of your choice in the first and third empty box, and leave the middle (second) box empty.
- Third row. Put a wood plank of your choice in all three empty boxes again.
- If you did everything right, you will see a Chest icon in the single empty block on the right.
- Move the item to your inventory.
Alternative: Spawn a Chest
Even though Minecraft is known as one of the best survival games for PC, it doesn’t have to be like that. You have 2 other options:
- Enable Creative Mode. You can add an unlimited amount of items to your inventory, and spawn any block infinitely. The downside is that you have to browse through large lists of items.
- Use a Minecraft Cheat/Command. This is a better alternative that serves the same purpose. It only requires entering an easy-to-remember code in your chat.
Here are the instructions to spawn a Chest using the 2nd option. Before you start, enable Minecraft cheats. Then, open chat, and type:
- If you are playing on Minecraft Java Edition (PC and Mac) between versions 1.13 and 1.16.3:
/give @p chest 1
- If you are playing on Minecraft Java Edition (Mac and PC) version 1.8 and later, and any other Minecraft version:
/give @p chest 1 0
Congratulations, you successfully followed the instructions to make a chest in Minecraft. Now, make sure to create as many as you can afford. Then, mark the contents by placing a Sign and naming the chest to stay organized.