Creating a Lantern in Minecraft will make time spent in-game drastically more convenient. Sure, it won’t be as useful in daylight. Nonetheless, it will represent a nice decorative detail. It is when nightfall comes and Lantern begins shining brightly that you’ll appreciate its existence, however. Besides light, an alternative version will provide a way to repel hostile mobs, a benefit we mention at the end. It’s certainly a more powerful and prettier alternative to carrying 64 torches. Finally, Lantern is a cheap replacement for mighty sources of light such as Beacon. However, before you can do anything, you must learn how to make a Lantern in Minecraft. Let’s begin.
Materials needed to make a Lantern in Minecraft
To create a Minecraft Lantern, you must collect the following items:
- 1x Torch
- 8x Iron Nugget
That’s all! Even better, we already went over instructions to make a torch in Minecraft. Unfortunately, that’s only a portion of the materials required for making a Lantern. To get Iron Nugget, you need to either:
- Craft: Place an Iron Ingot in the middle slot of the middle row of a Crafting Table grid to get 9x Iron Nugget.
- Smelt: Put any Iron Sword, Iron tool, Iron armor, Chainmail armor, or Iron Horse Armor into the upper slot of the furnace. Put any fuel in the bottom box to get 1x Iron Nugget.
- Trade: Give 1x Gold Ingot to a Piglin to get between 9x and 36x Iron Nugget.
1. Steps to make a Lantern in Minecraft Survival Mode
With required materials in tow, it’s time to get to work. Follow these instructions to craft a Lantern in Minecraft:
- Make and use a Crafting Table after you place it on a solid surface in front of your character.
- You’ll now see a crafting grid consisting of 9 empty boxes in a 3×3 pattern.
- Place the items you gathered in the following order:
- First row: Place an Iron Nugget into the first, second, and third empty box.
- Second row: Put an Iron Nugget into the first empty box. Place a Torch in the second empty box. Put another Iron Nugget into the third one.
- Third row: Identical to the first row.
Note. As with all stackable items, you can place between 1 and 64 at once for any item in an empty box. Crafting Table interface will calculate how many instances of a Lantern you can craft at once, with a maximum of 64.
- If you did everything correctly, you can see 1 to 64 Lanterns in what was previously a sole empty box on the right-hand side.
- Drag the Lantern and drop it into an empty slot in your inventory or your hotbar.
- You successfully crafted a Lantern. Congratulations!
2. Add a Lantern in Creative Mode
Let’s face it—not everyone wants the hassle of mining for Iron, then crafting items to break down into Iron Nugget. Why would they, especially in single-player mode or as administrators on their servers? Instead, those players can:
- Switch from Survival Mode to Creative Mode.
- Open their inventory.
- Type “Iron Nugget” in the search bar in the upper right corner.
Tip. Players can find Lantern under “Decoration Blocks” in Java Edition versions 1.14 to 1.18, and “Items” for any other version.
- Drag Iron Nugget to an empty slot in their hotbar or inventory.
- Optional. Revert to Survival Mode.
3. Use Minecraft cheats/commands
Another option includes typing a Minecraft command for a Lantern. Like Creative Mode, you need to be in a single-player world or have administrator permissions on a Minecraft server. With those requirements met, you need to turn on Minecraft cheats. You are now ready to enter one of the two Minecraft commands for a Lantern:
- Playing on Minecraft Java Edition v. 1.18.2 and later, as well as any other version of the game? The /give command for Lantern is:
/give @p lantern 1 0
- Prefer older versions of Java Edition for Minecraft, specifically from 1.14 to 1.18.1? Enter the following command:
/give @p lantern 1
We went from a complicated method to two easy, instant ones. We’re bringing it back to a challenging procedure that requires a degree of luck. Thankfully, we already taught you how to discover a village in Minecraft. If you happen to run into a Librarian villager at an apprentice level, you can trade 1x Emerald for 1x Lantern. The chance it will sell a Lantern is 66.667% in Java Edition and 50% in Bedrock Edition.
Facts about Minecraft Lanterns
Though you learned how crafting Lanterns works, you still need to use them. Here are a few things to know about using a Lantern within Minecraft:
- You can create a Soul Lantern if you replace a Torch in the recipe above with a Soul Torch. The latter is nothing but a regular Touch crafted using Soul Soil or Soil Sand in the third row, second slot.
- Lantern emits a light level of 15. Soul Lantern glows at a level 10. For comparison, Torch illuminates at a light level of 14.
- Lantern will gradually melt snow in the blocks immediately surrounding it.
- You can place a Lantern either on top or at the bottom of nearly any solid block. In the latter case, Lantern will hang, seemingly glued to the block. You might have to use sneaking for some block placements.
- You can attach a Lantern to a Chain.
- Piglins will shy away from a Soul Lantern.