Are you wondering how taming a cat in Minecraft, a well-known survival game, works? Well, we all know that cats can be both devils and human’s loyal companions in real life. In-game, you can expect the same level of devotion in-game, but also the same struggle to gain its respect. And, just like in the real world, you can find stray cats wandering around, looking for your attention. Let’s not twiddle our thumbs, here’s how to tame a cat in Minecraft.
Finding a cat in Minecraft
Unlike taming a horse or taming a fox, you won’t have to scour biomes and travel miles across the Minecraft world to find a cat. They are rather easy to find, and your best bet is finding the nearest village. According to the developers, this is the rule.
- A cat will spawn in any village with at least 4 beds and at least 1 village.
- For every 4 beds in a single village, one cat will spawn, with a maximum of 10 cats. That gives you a lot of choice in terms of the fur color.
- For black cats, you should look for witch huts in swamp areas. Additionally, in the Bedrock Edition, black cats have a higher chance of spawning on a full mood.
Steps to tame a cat in Minecraft
If you know how fishing in Minecraft works, you won’t have a hard time taming a cat. To attract a cat, you need to collect raw cold, or raw salmon from a nearby body of water. In fact, you need to stock up on it.
- Place Raw cod or Raw salmon anywhere on your Hotbar.
- Put the food item in your hands (highlight the item).
- Approach a stray cat.
- Use the food item on the cat multiple times.
- On Java Edition (PC/Mac), Education Edition, and Windows 10 Edition, use the right-click of your mouse.
- For Xbox 360 and Xbox One, use the LT button on the controller.
- On PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, use the L2 button on the controller.
- For Nintendo Switch and Wii U, use the ZL button on the gamepad/controller.
- For Pocket Edition (PE), move the pointer over the cat. Press the Tame button when it appears.
- While you feed it, you might notice gray smoke around it. Keep giving it fish.
- After the cat is fed enough, a lot of hearts will appear above its head.
- After the hearts disappear, the cat will gain a collar around its neck. This signifies it has been tamed.
Facts about cats in Minecraft
Now that you tamed a cat, it’s important to see how it will behave.
- It will follow you around.
- You command the cat to sit, for example, inside your house or on your bed.
- Unless commanded to sit, the cat will wander around you and explore.
- Indoors, cats will climb your furniture. Also, they will stay close to you when you go to sleep.
- The cat can teleport to you within 12 blocks in all directions.
- Cats can accidentally block a chest, bed, furnace, or other objects while wandering. You can push them away, dig a block underneath, or lure them with raw fish.
And there you have it, that’s how you domesticate a cat in Minecraft. While they can be annoying at times, these creatures are mostly a joy to be around.