Honeycomb appears when bees in Minecraft bring pollen to the beehive or bee nest. It can be used to craft a beehive itself, and weirdly, contribute to further Honeycomb production. Moreover, it can be used to craft a Candle, a Honeycomb Block, or used to wax a Block of Copper or Copper Slab to eliminate oxidation, like in real life. Furthermore, players can extract a variant of Honeycomb, a food item named Honey Bottle, using an empty bottle in step 2 instead of Shears. With that acknowledged, let us demonstrate how to get Honeycomb in Minecraft.
1. Get Honeycomb in Minecraft Survival Mode manually
Getting Honeycomb in Minecraft Survival Mode works like this:
1. Locate the bee nest or beehive
Bee nests naturally occur in places where bees converge, so find where bees spawn in Minecraft, and you’ll discover them. On the other hand, as mentioned, beehives are a player-crafted variation that requires Honeycomb to make. So while you can’t make them yourself until you repeat the entire procedure once or twice, if another player does, you can use them instead.
2. Get Shears and wait for the bee nest or beehive to mature
To proceed further, you need to craft or acquire Shears. After doing so, wait for the beehive or bee nest to mature fully (to state 5/level 5/full level). Give it time to get there – you’ll see bees carrying pollen, one at a time. Honeycomb is ready for extraction when the bee nest/beehive starts dripping honey.
3. Use Shears to extract Honeycomb
Approach the beehive or bee nest, and do one of the following actions to acquire Honeycomb:
1. Dangerous method
Use the Shears like described in step 3 of carving a Pumpkin in Minecraft. This will make the Honeycomb drop to the ground but angers the bee or bees, which are normally neutral mobs. Between 1 and 3 bees (depending on how many were in the bee nest or beehive) will attack you solo or as a swarm. If you block them with a shield, they’ll attack until they sting you. Once they sting you successfully, bees apply a poison that deals damage over time and loses their stinger. Each bee will die approximately 1 minute after a successful attack.
2. Safe methods
The method above is convenient when you have enough health or there are 1 to 2 bees nearby. Luckily, there are 2 ways to obtain Honeycomb without angering the bees:
- Create and place a Campfire up to 5 blocks below the beehive or bee nest, then use Shears. Honeycomb will drop to the ground and bees will remain neutral. You can also put a blanket over the Campfire to prevent bees from sustaining fire damage.
- Make and place Dispenser directly facing the bee nest or beehive. Put your Shears inside a dispenser, wire it with Redstone, and activate it. This will propel the Shears forward and make Honeycomb drop without making bees angry.
4. Pick up Honeycomb
Regardless of the method you used, simply approach the dropped Honeycomb to pick it up. Upon opening your inventory, you’ll see you have 3x Honeycomb. This number remains unchanged, no matter which method you utilized.
2. /give command for Honeycomb in Minecraft
Are you the owner of Minecraft Realms or playing in single-player mode? If the answer is yes to one or both, here’s a quick solution that involves turning Minecraft cheats on. After doing so, follow these steps:
- Playing Minecraft Java Edition 1.15 to 1.17 for Mac or PC? Enter this command into the chat:
/give @p honeycomb 1
- Using Minecraft Java Edition 1.18 and later or any other version of Minecraft? Type the following command into chat:
/give @p honeycomb 1 0
Tip. The number “1” represents the number of items to give and because Honeycomb fully stacks, the number can range from 1 to 64.