Minecraft Paintings existed since the third Indev phase of the Minecraft development cycle – late 2009. Like in real life, they’re a decoration that hangs on the walls and can make your house or lair prettier and give it a “homey” feel. They also vary in size and aspect ratio, making you anticipate what’ll come out when you press to use the item. Finally, some in-game Paintings are inspired by real-life art pieces from history, while others are based on video games in general or specific scenes in them. Intrigued? If so, here’s how to make a painting in Minecraft.
1. Crafting a Painting in Minecraft
The first method of making a Painting in Minecraft is through crafting:
- Gather the following items required to create a Painting:
- 8x Stick
- 1x White Wool
- Now, create and use a Minecraft Crafting Table.
- Once you see the 3×3 crafting grid, lay down the items in the following order:
- First row. Place a Stick in all 3 empty blocks.
- Second row. Place a Stick in the first and last block, and White Wool in the block in the middle (second block).
- Third row. Identical to the first row.
- If you followed the instructions closely, you’ll see a Painting icon in the previously empty block on the right-hand side.
- Move it to one of the empty slots in your inventory.
- You can place a Painting using the same control for opening the Crafting Table grid.
2. /give command for Painting in Minecraft
Don’t want to bother with crafting a Painting? Make it appear in your inventory through Minecraft cheats/commands by enabling cheats in Minecraft. Then, follow these instructions to give yourself a Painting in Minecraft:
- Playing Minecraft Java Edition 1.13-1.17? Enter the following command:
/give @p painting 1
- Using Minecraft Java 1.8 and later or any other version of Minecraft? Type this into the chat:
/give @p painting 1 0
Things to note about a Painting
You might find these Minecraft Painting facts useful:
- Initially, only 19 unique Paintings existed. The number eventually rose to 26.
- You can “attack” a Painting to make it fall to the ground. Then, loot it and place it indefinitely in hopes of getting a different picture.
- You can also knock a Painting off the wall with projectiles such as eggs, arrows, or snowballs or explosives such as TNT.
- The largest available Painting size is 4×4 blocks.
- Painting expands from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner and tries to fill the space in-between.
- A Painting that faces North/South is brighter while a Painting that faces East/West is darker.
- You can make custom Paintings by exchanging a corresponding game file or installing a texture pack.
- You can make a secret entrance if you dig a door-sized hole (2×1 block) and place 2 Signs on either side of the wall. A larger Painting pattern will cover the hole but let you pass through it.
- If you place a Minecraft Chest behind a Painting, you can access its contents through it.
- Placing a Painting over a light source makes it behave like a lamp.
- Painting is non-flammable and protects flammable blocks it covers.
- You can get a Painting by trading with a master-level Shepherd Villager. He usually requests 2 Emeralds for 3 Paintings.